Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Letter to ABS-CBN regarding TV Patrol World
I have emailed ABS-CBN about a similar topic before but apparently my feedback was ignored. Up until now, I still do not understand why attention-hungry and nearly washed-out celebrities going topless is considered news. In my opinion, this is not news at all. Here I was tuning into ABS-CBN at around 5 pm waiting for the TV Patrol News Update to show the ongoing preparations on Barack Obama's forthcoming inauguration. When it finally appeared, I was appalled to see that what they consider to be an update is some piece of information that specific stars are posing topless! What an update! What an irrelevant piece of trash! The date today is January 20 and the rest of the world are waiting for history to unfold yet it seems as though the news program considered it to be just another story and went on emphasizing on a piece that would do absolutely nothing for the Philippines. Being a news program that I constantly watch, I found myself to be utterly disgusted with TV Patrol. Is this what you call responsible journalism? I do not think this even falls under the category of showbiz news because it was not news. The status of Piolo Pascual and Angel Locsin's new movie in the box office is an example of showbiz news because it is something that every Filipino could relate about. On the other hand, informing us about Nina Jose and Cristine Reyes' attempt at becoming sluts would only appeal to perverts who would only end up raping women. Furthermore, this piece of "news" implies that it is alright for Filipino women to strip and go topless because it is what celebrities are doing. If this is a deliberate marketing ploy to get people talking about these good-for-nothing celebrities, get it on "The Buzz" or on shows that feed gossipmongers. History is about to unfold and the news about Obama basically covered the same number of airtime as Cristine Reyes and company. Is there really no other important news going on in the world today that TV Patrol opted to showcase the shenanigans of unimportant talentless celebrities? Because from what I know, the primetime news program could cover Barack Obama alone despite the time difference. There are also important news in the country that should have been more emphasized like Jocjoc Bolante. There is also the war in Gaza that is severely unemphasized in Philippine news because it seems like it is usually compressed together with other world news for just one minute. I sincerely believe that TV Patrol is a program watched by Filipinos of all classes and it is important for everyone to see what other countries are doing so that we as a nation would have an idea of how to improve ourselves. We would never grow as a nation if all we see are more and more stupid and brainless celebrities are stripping down. It is sickening to see that they get more airtime than news that would and could have an immense impact on the lives of Filipinos. It is quite ironic that the news program is dubbed as "TV Patrol World" yet it tackles less and less about the world. It makes one think of how relevant are the topless Cristine Reyes and Nina Jose in the betterment of the nation as compared to other ongoing events on the day of January 20, 2009. I understand that "Bandila" has an Obama special but it does not give "TV Patrol WORLD" the reason to cut down on such an important coverage on such historic events both in the Philippines and elsewhere just to give way to a piece of trash like that. As a very concerned citizen of the Philippines, I am very very disappointed with the way the said news program filters the kind of news that they impart on the people. I sincerely hope that I would never ever see another advertisement of some annoying celebrity on the news ever again. If this kind of journalism continues, what hope is there left for the Philippines!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment